About UNP

Brief History

The University of Northern Philippines (UNP) holds the distinction of being the first state university in Northern Luzon. It was created through the enactment of Republic Act 4449 authored by the late Congressman FLORO S. CRISOLOGO and approved on June 19, 1965. The said Act converted the Ilocos Sur School of Arts and Trades in the Municipality of Vigan, Province of Ilocos Sur, into a University.

The governance of the University is vested in the Board of Regents. The first board was constituted on October 14, 1965.

The origin of this University can be traced through the following dates:

1906   – Establishment of Vigan High School (now the Ilocos Sur National High School).

1910   – The shop department of Vigan High School was converted into a separate intermediate level school which became the Vigan Trade School.

1927   – Vigan Trade School opened its secondary level and had its first graduates in 1931.

1931   – Vigan Trade School became the Ilocos Sur Trade School.

1941   – Ilocos Sur Trade School was converted into a regional trade school by the late President Manuel L. Quezon through the help of Assemblyman Benito T. Soliven and Governor Pedro S. Reyes. However, the Second World War prevented its implementation.

1951   – Ilocos Sur Trade School was converted into the Northern Luzon School of Arts and Trades through Republic Act 647.

1960   – Republic Act 2700 (General Appropriations Act of 1960) converted Northern Luzon School of Arts and Trades back to Ilocos Sur School of Arts and Trades.

1965   – Republic Act 4449 approved on June 19, 1965 authored by the late Congressman Floro S. Crisologo converted the Ilocos Sur School of Arts and Trades into the University of Northern Philippines. On October 14, 1965, the first state university in the north started implementing its charter.

1989   – Candon Community College was integrated into the University of Northern Philippines through Republic Act 6744 sponsored by Congressman Eric D. Singson.

2010   – University of Northern Philippines-Candon Campus was separated and converted into the North Luzon Philippine State College through Republic Act 10085 sponsored by Congressman Eric D. Singson.

Source : http://unp.edu.ph/about-unp/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *